Tuesday, April 16, 2013

TV Show Reviews - Part 1

Since first year, I've started to become a TV junkie...like way more than I was even in high school. Now I'm actually dedicated to my shows and will watch them every week without fail (thank you 200+ GB of internet). My list is so long actually that I have to keep a list to keep track of the days and when shows are returning. My bookmark list is a little shorter since not all these shows are on at the same time :P I think out of the list, my favourite would have to be Supernatural. I started watching it when it was in it's 3rd season and am still watching it years later and in its 8th season :) It's about two brothers that hunt down supernatural creatures that keep killing random citizens. Unlike other shows, I don't feel like they're dragging this on and they always introduce great new characters and plots lines! Plus, who wouldn't want to watch these boys every week?


Anyway so in addition to this, there have been other shows that I've been watching since they started last year so I decided to review the ones I like most. This list includes: The Carrie Diaries, Elementary, Once Upon A Time, Revenge, and Nashville.

The Carrie Diaries is the prequel to Sex and the City and is based on the novel by Candace Bushell. Before this, I had already watched Sex and the City 1 and 2 then started watching the show (lol at my backwards watching). This started in January this year on CW but can be streamed on Rogers TV in Canada.The season 1 finale was last week, which made me go through Carrie Diaries withdrawal and sparked my interest to review it. The noteable stars of this show include Anna Sophia Robb, Austin Butler, Ellen Wong, Stefania Owen, Matt Letsher, and several others. To Coco: I think you would really like this show because it's all about fashion! Carrie always has really bold fashion choices, just like she does in Sex and the City. I especially love her pouffy dresses, they're always really pretty :D

The show centers around Carrie Bradshaw's beginnings and features her writing in her diary at the end of every episode, like how she writes in her lap top in SATC. The main plot is her living in Castlebury, Connecticut with her sister (Dorit) and father (Tom), 3 best friends (Mags, Mouse, and Walt), and boyfriend Sebastian Kydd, yet she constantly wants to be a city girl and always be in New York City. She ends up getting an internship at a lot firm there so gets to go once a week. That is when she meets Larissa, a fashion editor, and it just kinda goes from there. I think my main annoyances with this show are the on-and-off relationship with Sebastian (seriously a lot of their breakups were really lame) and the two characters Mags and Donna LaDonna (wow her name). Mags just has a really annoying face (featured in the left of the picture) and is a horrible person. Donna is Carrie's enemy and has the usual "bitchy popular girl" behaviour, but as with Mags, her face annoys me. Aside from these annoyances, it is actually a really great show, with ok acting, and interesting plot lines :) And of course, similar to Sex and the City, it features a lot of fashion and the trends from New York.



The next new favourite show is Elementary!!! It stars Johnny Lee Miller as Sherlock Holmes and Lucy Liu as Joan Watson. This premiered in November on Global so it was one of the shows I was able to actually watch on a TV, which made it a more enjoyable experience :P It's always my go-to show whenever I have a break and will check for it every week. After this started, I found out that there was a BBC TV series from 2010 called Sherlock. I never read any of the books so I have nothing to compare it too, but I've heard that it is pretty accurate and close to the books. The format is 3 episodes that are all 1.5 hours long and 3 episodes in each season. There are only 2 seasons right now but the 3rd one is supposed to come this year. It features Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock  and Martin Freeman as Watson. So back to Elementary...after having watched Sherlock, I prefer this more! It might be because I'm not too into foreign shows, movies, or music but this one is just more easier to fall along to. They both feature the extremely complex deductive reasoning of Sherlock and them training Watson to be sidekicks. I know that people complained about Elementary changing Watson to a girl, but I really don't think it matters. Watson starts out as his sober companion in this show and then later helps him solve mysteries. The acting is great and I think this is the first time I've seen Johnny Lee Miller since his role in Hackers :P The crimes change every episode, so it always stays interesting and entertaining! I also love that Sherlock pretty much has no boundaries and will say anything haha.
 

This post is getting too long so I'll do Once Upon A Time, Revenge, and Nashville reviews next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Google+
 
Google+